Nutritional Fuel: Lean Green Smoothie Recipe
Christine Fitzgerald, Director of Nutrition at Leisure Sports
Become a lean and mean fitness machine with this Lean Green Smoothie recipe. Easy to make and even easier to drink, this special blend of greens, fiber, healthy fats, and protein work together to help you melt away fat, detoxify your body, and build muscle. It also delivers that crucial dose of energy you need before or after your workout.
• 1/2 cup of strawberries
• 1/2 cup of blueberries
• 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
• 1 cup of spinach
• 2 scoops of vanilla-flavored Pure Whey protein powder
• 10 oz. ice
• Pure Whey is the cleanest and best-tasting whey protein you can find. It offers a rapid absorption rate that's perfect after a tough workout, as it goes to work right away with an infusion of dietary protein that repairs the natural damage your muscles go through during exercise.
• Strawberries offer a wealth of health benefits. Low in calories and high in fiber, these tasty treats help burn stored fat and contain anti-aging properties that help you look younger longer.
• Blueberries may be small, but they pack quite a nutritious punch. These little fruits house antioxidants and vitamin C, and the fact that they're low in calories means that you can enjoy a cupful without feeling guilty.
• Among the world's healthiest foods, coconut milk boosts your immune system and also offers a beneficial fat called lauric acid, which the body can easily absorb and convert into energy. Coconut milk can also help you lower cholesterol, improve blood pressure, and prevent heart attack or strokes.
• There's a reason Popeye ate entire cans of spinach. This leafy vegetable is rich in vitamin K, which is essential for maintaining bone health, as well as zinc and magnesium, which promote better sleep and healing. Spinach is also an excellent source of iron.